5 precious promises to guard and bless a young believer – worth memorising by heart - with a few more added recently.
Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word,
that ye may grow thereby
And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. (1 Peter 2.2, Ac 20.32)
2. Prayer our survival oxygen
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. (John 15.7)
3. Daily confession of sin and its wonderful washing away in His blood
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our
to cleanse us
from all unrighteousness.
(1 John 1.8-9)
4. Resisting temptation - power promised.
temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man: but God is
faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above that ye are able;
but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be
able to bear it.
5. The true believer’s yearning – to be like the Father.
You shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. (Leviticus 19.2)
6. Placing anxious cares in His hands
Casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you. (1 Peter 5.7)
7. Right priorities the key to enduring happiness and contentment
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, all these other things will be added unto you. (Matthew 6.33)
8. Don't trust in feelings or impressions alone, trust God to keep His promises perfectly, as He will, unlike men.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. (Psalm 46.1-2)
9. Worship Him with other believers who fear and trust God first.
They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Psalm 119.74, Heb.10.25)
10. Never cease to delight in His goodness with rejoicing, if necessary with gritted teeth
Neither be ye sorry [saddened and overly downcast by sin]; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
And at midnight [in the central dungeon] Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
(Neh.8.10, Phil.4.4, Ac 16.25 )